To eventually put ourselves out of business
What is Samaritans Steps?…
Samaritans Steps Inc. is a nonprofit founded by Kevin Lilly during his senior year at Lasell College in 2014. Kevin wanted to combine his years of advocacy experience with his passion for entrepreneurship and social justice, and shortly after that Samaritans Steps was born. The organization seeks to help those forgotten, looked over, and marginalized in the city of Boston, but not do it the way its usually been done by other existing organizations.
Since 2014 Samaritans Steps has...
- held successful clothing drives raising and distributing over $13,000 worth of clothes.
- directly served over 500 homeless individuals
- created two book scholarships (C Beyond for students with less than stellar grades & The Invisible Scholar for homeless students) We are currently working on a 3rd for students with criminal or juvenile records.
- held story time events for homeless children in motels. Even the Attorney General came out to join us reading to the kids.
- worked to support and advocate for legislation that would provide money to housing and support services to assist homeless youth.
- our founder, Kevin, was nominated to the Statewide Commission for Unaccompanied Homeless Youth by our Governor's office.
- created our campus initiative to help homeless students by creating student led clubs that would address immediate needs homeless students have.
The mission of Samaritans Steps is to empower and support youth, veterans, and the community as a whole through advocacy, education, resources, and initiatives to help those who are disenfranchised become self-sufficient.
Values of Samaritans Steps:
We don't look at those we serve as problems, projects, statistics, lost causes, props for self gratifying selfies or tools to raise donations. In our organization we aim to treat everyone we serve with nothing but love, kindness, compassion, dignity, and respect. People are worth fighting for